The National Foundation for Credit Counseling has put out some key recommendations for couples who are planning to get married in the very near future. It would be wise to discuss the following BEFORE you get married, so that there are less surprises after the fact. Set aside time in your busy schedule to discuss these items openly and honestly with your loved one.
- How much debt do you have? Debt includes credit cards, student loans, mortgages, car loans, etc.
- What is your credit score? It will benefit you both to know who is in better financial shape…and who isn’t.
- What is your philosophy on saving?
- Will each of you have your own money to spend?
- What will you do when (not if) a relative or friend asks for a loan?
“Forearmed is forewarned,” my Dad used to say quite frequently. That’s never been more true than with couples looking to tie the knot.